Sunday, August 26, 2007

I had a Thought

A coworker said that she wanted her daughter to go through First Communion, not for any religious reasons (she left the Church herself some time ago), but just so they could get all the presents.

So it occurred to me that I should offer to let her join my church. By the time the girl is old enough I could certainly have a suitable right of passage ceremony ready. It could be quite entertaining, although a number of sweet and touching ideas presented themselves as well… a sort of Initiation into the Mysteries, no answers of course, just questions.

My friend would likely not go for it. The people from whom she hopes to get presents are ultra-Christian and something so decidedly un-Christian would probably not be appreciated. There’d probably be more efforts to convert the girl and more unwanted pressure.

But I still like the idea. Maybe I’ll work on the ceremony for my own entertainment. And my friend would likely appreciate the sentiment if nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home